It is common for a driver arrested on suspicion of DUI in Panama City to ask their lawyer about the possible penalties that may be imposed. A DUI carries serious mandatory penalties that can affect a person's ability to drive, restrict freedom, and cause an immediate and many times shocking increase in auto insurance rates.
Before entering a plea of guilty or no contest to DUI, a person arrested in the Panama City area should consult with a lawyer to review their legal options. Many times an illegal stop, a policy that was not followed by an officer, or a faulty (or barely over the limit) Intoxilyzer reading can subject a case to suppression of evidence, or lead to a favorable plea offer to a lesser offense.
Please find following a guide to statutory mandated DUI penalties for a first-offense DUI:
First-Time Offender DUI
- Fine of not less than $500, or more than $1,000
- If Blood/Breath Alcohol Level is .15 or higher, or if there is a minor in the vehicle a fine of not less than $1,000, or more than $2,000.
Community Service Hours:
- Mandatory 50 hours of community service or additional fine of $10 for each hour of community service required.
- Total period of incarceration (jail) and probation may not exceed one year.
- Maximum term of incarceration may not exceed 6 months.
- If Blood/Breath Alcohol Level is .15 or higher, maximum term of incarceration may not exceed 9 months.
- Vehicle will be immobilized for 10 days unless the family of the defendant has no other transportation.
Driver License Revocation:
- Minimum 180 days, maximum 1 year.
- Completion of an approved 12 hour course of evaluation and instruction.