Possession of Drug Paraphernalia Charges in Florida
Panama City Drug Charge Attorney
Many people understand the laws surrounding drug possession, but did you know you can be arrested and charged with a possession of drug paraphernalia in Florida? Continue reading for more information on what the law classifies as drug paraphernalia and how you could be charged with possession in Panama City. Were you recently charged with possession of paraphernalia? A skilled Panama City drug charge attorney can protect your reputation, freedom, and rights.
Contact Shepard Law today for a free consultation.
Classifying Drug Paraphernalia
Florida classifies the below items of drug paraphernalia.
- Water pipes, smoking masks, air-driven pipes, bongs
- Metal, wood, acrylic or glass pipes with or without screens
- Rolling papers, cutting devices, testing devices
- Scales and balances used for weighing or measuring controlled substances
- Cocaine spoons, testing equipment, blenders, bowls and spoons intended for compounding substances
- Hypodermic syringes, needles or other objects for injecting drugs into the body
- Containers used to store, conceal or transport drugs
How the State Defines Possession
The way in which the state defines possession could be different than how possession is determined generally. Florida classifies possession into two different categories:
- Actual – Actual possession requires the paraphernalia to be on the person of the defendant. This means it could be in a container in their hand or within ready reach or under their control.
- Constructive—Constructive possession means the paraphernalia is not on the person but in a place where the defendant has control over.
Charges for paraphernalia are classified as a first-degree misdemeanor. The penalties for such charges include up to 1 year in jail and/or $1,000 fine and probation. If you are placed on probation, the judge may order that you are randomly drug tested at your probation officers discretion. The judge may also require you enroll in a drug prevention program.
We Can Help You
If you were recently arrested on a drug paraphernalia charge, a skilled Panama City drug charge attorney can help you build your defense. An attorney from
Shepard Law has many ways to challenge possession of drug paraphernalia charges,
contact an attorney today.